Sixteen years ago spring time was trying to make its grand entry. Three year old Poncho’s mother Twilia had just acquired a job at a local nursing home. She dropped Poncho and his older brother Rogue off at the babysitter. The sitter’s name was Charity.
Charity’s four year old daughter Monique (pictured to the right) and the boys were playing upstairs later that morning when it happened.
The investigation revealed that the three children started the fire in a closet with a lighter. Rogue and Monique were rescued, but Poncho died.
Like most things you learn, you need to review the lessons periodically. The great thing is fire safety isn’t complicated. Spring is upon us and outdoor activities will soon be in full swing.
Here are some safety tips to review with your family:
* Before using a grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line. Make sure the venturi tubes – where the air and gas mix – are not blocked.
* Do not overfill the propane tank.
* Do not wear loose clothing while cooking at a barbecue.
* Be careful when using lighter fluid. Do not add fluid to an already lit fire because the flame can flashback up into the container and explode.
* Keep all matches and lighters away from children. Teach your children to report any loose matches or lighters to an adult immediately. Supervise children around outdoor grills.
* Dispose of hot coals properly – douse them with plenty of water, and stir them to ensure that the fire is out. Never place them in plastic, paper or wooden containers.
* Never grill/barbecue in enclosed areas – carbon monoxide could be produced.
* Make sure everyone knows to Stop, Drop and Roll in case a piece of clothing does catch fire. Call 911 or your local emergency number if a burn warrants serious medical attention
* Build campfires where they will not spread, away from dry grass and leaves.
* Keep campfires small, and don’t let them get out of hand.
* Keep plenty of water and a shovel around to douse the fire when you’re done. Stir it and douse it again with water.
* Never leave campfires unattended.
Go watch a public display. Leave the lighting of fireworks to the professionals.
Remember, it’s always easier to prevent than to cure.
You gotta love it, but it does make purchasing a bit dicey because new products don’t give you history. And using history is how you can make wise purchasing decisions.
So, what’s another way to make a wise decision on a new product? Try it out.
The El Dorado Fire Department did just that. They wanted to try out one of the new combination fog/straight bore nozzles. So, first they tried out the Akron Saber Jet. It was mighty impressive.
After posting a story and a video of the Saber Jet demo, a sales representative from another fog/straight bore nozzle company called. He wanted to demonstrate his product – G-Force FlipTip.
What would be better than trying the G-Force FlipTip by itself? Trying it out side-by-side right next to the Akron Saber Jet. And that’s what they did.
The Firefighter on the right is operating the Saber Jet while the Firefighter on the left is operating the G-Force FlipTip. They start out producing a straight stream with the fog nozzle option. Then, they switch over to a straight bore. The prices for each are comparable.
The Kansas State Firefighters Association just concluded their 2014 annual conference in Salina.
The Auxiliary raises funds for various things – one being college scholarships. A total of fifteen $1,000 scholarships were granted this year. Seven of the winners were able to make it to the conference to personally receive their scholarship. El Dorado Fire Captain Max Brown’s wife Pam is a lead Auxiliary Officer.
Pam gave those in attendance a formal scholarship document.
Great Job Auxiliary Members in raising such a large amount of scholarship funds.
How did you spend your Sunday afternoon? The El Dorado Firefighters spent their afternoon testing fire hose.
All the department’s fire hose is tested annually. There are several reasons for doing this arduous job. First and foremost – it’s important to make sure the hose is worthy of withstanding the pressures it must endure.
Then another reason is it gives us credit points towards our insurance rating. That rating score determines how much property owners pay for insurance.
Last night was the Butler County Fire Chief’s quarterly meeting held in Rose Hill. Normal business was conducted but not before some special people were recognized.
It started with recognizing the “Firefighter of the Year” award. This was the first time for the chief’s presenting this award. Firefighter Bob Pippen was presented the award. Bob has worked for several Butler County Fire Departments over the past 47 years. His goal is to make it 50 years – not one that many can ever claim. Bob read a poem that you can listen to the in the video below. Thanks Bob!
Next was Kathy Guy. Kathy served for a number of years as the Butler County Assistant Emergency Manager. Even after retiring from that position Kathy continued to volunteer serving as the secretary of the Fire Chief’s Association. Thanks Kathy!
And then there was Andover Fire Chief Jim Shaver. Chief Shaver was recognized for his many years with Butler County and everything – like the other two before him – that he has done for his fellow firefighters. Chief Shaver said a few words, but the very end were the most profound. His message was to all firefighters. Chief talked about the need for a Safety Officer, but truly he said, “The most important safety officer is that fellow firefighter standing, or kneeling, right next to you.” Thanks Chief Shaver!