Two Lucky Plumbers – The Importance of Shoring

The crew was placing a water supply pipe for a new home.  One worker was operating the backhoe and two other workers were working in the shoreless trench.

Typically, most trenches are pretty stable in ground like this that hasn’t been interrupted for some time.  The workers thought this was the case and their work commenced without shoring.

Ted was working at the exact point where the collapse took place.  He was leaning over when the slab of soil hit him.  his head was pushed down by his legs.  Lucky for Ted his body placement created an air pocket.

Bill was approximately twenty feet from Ted.  The collapse pinned Bill up to his lower mid-chest point.

Sam, the backhoe operator made the call for rescue.  Firefighters arrived shortly thereafter.  The firefighters were told by Bill that Ted was covered by dirt.  Ground pads and trench panels were placed in and around the trench.

As the rescue team centered on the point told by Bill, they faintly heard something.  It was Ted hollering for rescue.  Hand bucket after hand bucket of dirt was scooped from the trench where Ted’s voice was heard.

Finally, the top of Ted’s ball cap became visible.  An oxygen line was passed into space beside Ted’s head.  First the firefighters uncovered the soil area around Ted’s head.  From there it took another hour to finally remove Ted from his earthly tomb.  While Ted was being rescued Bill was also rescued.

This near fatality accident reinforces the importance of trench shoring.  This easily could’ve been a double fatality accident.  What it was, was two lucky plumbers.

*This accident happened in Salina back in the early 1990’s. 

 

Firefighter Cancer Prevention

By Lieutenant Coby Spear

The skin is the largest organ in the body and it absorbs chemicals just like taking oral medication.  During a structure fire, firefighters are exposed to carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, aldehydes, acid gases, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), benzene, toluene, styrene, metals and dioxins to name a few.

These chemicals cause cancer and firefighters are absorbing these chemicals into their skin during fire scenes. To reduce the risk of cancer, firefighters from the El Dorado Fire Department are sweating out the chemicals after the fire.

The fire department has partnered up with the YMCA to get the chance to detox and rehab after a fire incident has occurred. Watch the Youtube video to see how this process works. The picture of the white towels are an example of what our bodies absorb during a fire. The fireman who used the towels took showers before detoxing in the sauna.

This is the after product of the detox.

 

 

Fire Heavily Damages Home

Early this afternoon the occupant of a home in central El Dorado noticed a fire in the living room.  Before she could get the fire department notified the fire had spread to the front of the home, encompassing it entirely.

Upon arrival firefighters quickly got the fire under control, but not before it heavily damaged the home and its’ contents.

Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.

*More pictures to follow.

4 Door Plymouth Belvedere Lessons

plymouth_belvedere_ii_sedan_1* Story by Fire Chief Steve Moody

The year was 1977. It’s funny how old memories sometimes pop into your head for no particular reason.

My meager savings was nearly exhausted after attending two years of college. This was back when running up a tab wasn’t part of the college attendance formula. Not only was my college fund exhausted, so was my 1965 Ford Mustang.

I needed some wheels. I checked out the periodicals and there it was: “The Shopper’s Guide” “1966 4-door Plymouth Belvedere II – low mileage – one-owner – $500 or best offer.”

I called the number listed and arranged a time to look at the car – immediately. The owner turned out to be a female senior citizen. Even though the car was immaculate, it was definitely a little old lady car.

The slant 6 cylinder engine was so quiet you couldn’t even tell it was running – not a hot rod.
It was a living room wall beige color – not too striking. And it did indeed have four doors – not exactly a chick magnet. But it was perfect in another way – price. SOLD!

So, why did the Belvedere memory spring forth? I knew the answer after just a moment – it was the lessons.

Belvedere’s reliability was one lesson. Even though he wasn’t the flashiest fellow on the block, he never failed me – even on the coldest Kansas morning. There are few things as important in life as reliability.

The immaculate condition of the car was another lesson. Belvedere was eleven years old and looked like he just came off the show room floor. A little old lady could keep a car pristine – shouldn’t any young person be able to do the same?

Economy was a third lesson. Fuel consumption wasn’t a big concern in the ‘70’s but Belvedere was different – he was ahead of his time. Is my ultra conservative nature tied to Belvedere’s lesson?

But the most important lesson of all was trust. There’s something that’s certain when a woman chooses a man that drives a four door Belvedere – she doesn’t love him for his money or his status. Belvedere gave me and my high school sweetheart a ride to the cathedral for our marriage vows.

Memories of a 4-Door Plymouth Belvedere II wasn’t really all that strange after all.

*P.S. I got a speeding ticket once in the Belvedere.  I told the officer that I didn’t even think it would go that fast.